Atlus sent us confirmation today that Dragon’s Crown, the long-awaited 2D action RPG from Odin Sphere developer Vanillaware, will be released in Summer 2013. In Dragon’s Crown, players will be able to explore numerous labyrinthine dungeons surrounding the medieval kingdom of Hydeland. Players will be able to select one of six powerful adventurers to represent them in their journey:
- The Fighter, who uses his armor and quick-hitting attacks to tank and destroy enemies
- The Dwarf, who specializes in getting up close and personal with grapple attacks
- The Amazon, who moves quickly and wields a giant axe to unleash massive damage
- The Wizard, who blasts fire at single targets or in pillars to incinerate foes
- The Elf, who uses her bow and agility to launch devastating volleys and escape danger
- The Sorceress, who uses ice magic and summoned skeletons to control the battlefield
In addition to this diverse cast of characters, players will also have the ability to increase health, magic spells or attack powers through the game’s massive skill tree. As with their previous games, Dragon’s Crown will employ Vanillaware’s unique visual flair and character design to accentuate the action.
As players explore vast dungeons, they’ll be coming into contact with NPCs such as Samuel the Adventurer’s Guild leader, Lucain the wizard, and Rannie the thief. Samuel and Lucain will offer quests and tasks which slowly unravel the mystery behind the Dragon’s Crown, while Rannie will join players on their adventures to pick locks, open treasure chests, reveal hidden passageways, and collect loot.
While cross-platform play is not supported, players can play simultaneously with up to three additional companions or AI compatriots with drop-in multiplayer on PlayStation 3 or via AdHoc network on the Vita.
Dragon’s Crown will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and Vita systems for $49.99 and $39.99 respectively. Atlus hasn’t confirmed whether or not this is a cross-buy enabled title. No exact release date has been confirmed but you can pre-order the game at retailers or on PSN right now.