Kept you waiting, huh?! The mysterious The Phantom Pain game revealed at last year’s Spike Video Game Awards was finally revealed today as the long awaited Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, previously known as Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. To announce the new trailer, Hideo Kojima walked onstage at the Kojima Productions GDC 2013 presentation with his head bandaged similarly to Moby Dick Studios’ Joakim Mogren and proclaimed that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain were one and the same. Moments ago, Hideo Kojima tweeted a clarification as to what these two names meant:
“Ground Zeroes” is a prologue of “MGSV”. 9 years after that event will be “The Phantom Pain”. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game “TPP”. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of “TPP” which is tutorial that starts from crawling.
Here’s everything we could gather about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain from Kojima Productions’ GDC demo:
- It will be an open world game with real time weather and a day/night cycle.
- David Hayter does not seem to be returning as Snake.
- Ishmael sounds like he’s being voiced by Keifer Sutherland.
- There is an unconfirmed “more than 100 year old” character.
- The man on the horse is possibly Ocelot.
- The young white haired boy is a young Psycho Mantis…
- …who is causing all the hallucinations with the fiery horse and the big worm/whale creature coming out from the ground.
Check out this trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain from their presentation at this year’s GDC: